whiskey on the rocks

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Fakebook




I was talking to a friend of mine and to my appall I learned that few firms have fired people just on the basis of obscene pictures they have put up on their Facebook profile. This is yet another weapon these Firing Squads are using to their advantage. Zuckerberg did not only change the course of communication but the course of entire mankind. I remember the words of Piyush when I had just set my sail in the sea of social networking “Wyski, Facebook is not what you are, but what you pretend to be”. We take close-up picture and put it on the main profile because we don’t want people to see what out body looks like. We flash dimples on our cheeks so as to look cute. We photoshop our picture and make it more white because we what to look fair. We display gadgets, bikes, cars and our social groups in our pictures to show what and who we hang out with. Most of these consumerist bi-products don’t even belong to us. Most of the people smiling in our pictures usually smile only because they know they will be tagged in those pictures. There have been so many relationships that I know started, nourished and ended only on the basis of few Hypertext Transfer Protocols. One guy I know, he believes he is rich because he has too many Mafia Points to spare. Mafia Wars is another third party destruction after the mighty Farmville. There are more Farmville players on Facebook that there are farmers in America. Now we only pose in a picture for Facebook. Then we call up the author to remove the pictures that somehow managed to depict our real face.
Facebook registration should be as Morpheus recruiting Neo in The Matrix, “This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” And unfortunately if you on the registration page, you will take the Red pill. And then the day comes when you think, “Why oh Why didn’t I take the BLUE pill.” Facebook has become the Hotel California of internet. You can check in anytime you like but you can never leave.
Facebook has done some good to the less fortunate who, under any other circumstance wouldn’t have been able to talk to a member of opposite sex. Here are some approaching techniques:
1. “Like” the picture, video or status message of the target.
2. Comment on the picture of target, to like you are not targeting the target but other people or the backdrop in the picture. “Wow!!! You guys had a good party last night, damn I missed it (since I was not invited)”. “Wow!! Nice location, where is this?” (little bold to ask a question and very stupid to wait for a reply).
3. This is little tricky, comment on a picture that the target has already ‘Like(d)’ or comment on. This way you have indirectly let your smartness out. Since the target will get a notification of your comment, you hope you will get noticed.
4. You get a little smarter. You wait until you have few friends in common, then you send in a friend request with a message, “Your profile kept appearing on my suggested friend list, so I thought of sending you are friend request”. You could have also said, “I am really desperate”, end of the story.
5. Last one I can think of is on the top of the fake list, “I just want to remember the birthdays and anniversaries, so I am sending friend requests to all”.
I am sure Zuckerberg’s intentions were not to push the entire generation into an abyss but then again Oppenheimer also didn’t create the Nuclear Bomb just for the fireworks.
We still have hope, read a book, eat good food, drink wine, make love, get out of Facebook, show you are alive.

7 comments:

  1. Good stuff Whyski!!this one's hard hitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dude,
    Nicely written blog which is quite thought provoking. You rightly point out that FB is more about pretence now. That's one of the reasons I have never felt conmfortable using these networking sites. People look at me with a lot of amazement when I tell them that I'm not active at orkut or FB. And I have seen people who would just put up borrowed philosophical quotes to put up as status messages on FB just tio get likes and comments on their status messages.
    But definitely its a thing of future and would become even bigger. More so for businesses to reach out to customers,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whiskey....leave FB...and i'll follow you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have done that already my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You left and you came back and now you have left again. When are you coming back again?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You left and you came back and now you have left again. When are you coming back again?

    ReplyDelete