whiskey on the rocks

Friday, July 16, 2010

Whisky in the Jar - O

As I was going over
The Kork and Kerry mountains
I saw Captain Farrell
And his money he was counting
I first produced my pistol
And then produced my rapier
I said "Stand and deliver
Or the devil he may take you"

I took all of his money
And it was a pretty penny
I took all of his money and
I brought it home to Molly
She swore that she'd love me
No Never would she leave me
But the devil take that woman
For you know she treat me easy

Mush a ring dum a doo dum a da
Whack for my daddy'o
Whack for my daddy'o, there's
Whisky in the jar, o
(Lyrics are not complete)

As made famous by Thin Lizzy and later covered by Metallica in its Album Garage Inc. (more to discover on this album)


Whisky in the Jar is a famous Irish traditional song. I suppose like 'Jugni' is in Punjab, although I am not quite sure whether thats a good comparison. The song is about a Traveller (As I was going over The Kork and Kerry mountains), who robs a Military person to be later betrayed by a woman (Molly) he loved and ends up in jail.

There are many versions of this song where in the name of the mountain (Kork and Kerry) is different. Other names used in different versions, Kilmoganny, Gilgarra mountains are all after places in Ireland. Even the name of the girl Molly, is different in different versions.

This song was Thin Lizzy's first big hit. This song also earned Metallica a Grammy for the Best Hard Rock Performance in 2000. The Thin Lizzy Version is very soft and smooth like a smooth Whisky, and the Metallica version is a hard rock version some what like the aftermath of excessive smooth Whisky. The song, however, was hit before Thin Lizzy. It was made famous when an Irish folk band, The Dubliners, performed and recorded it.

It a beautiful song and shouts my name over and over again.

4 comments:

  1. You have a funny bone(r) that tickles the right people, at the right time and at the right places !!!
    Fcukin' Wyski :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man!!! :)
    Hopefully lot more to come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jatt risky after Wyski:)go on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my fav songs.... the starting tune is really catchy... Whackoma daddy wo whiskey in the jaaarrrrrr

    ReplyDelete